The original film was based on article written by Ehud Yonay in 1983, entitled “Top Guns." Now, his family claims Paramount Pictures did not have the authorization to make a sequel.
"Top Gun: Maverick" hit theaters May 27, 2022, which followed beloved 1986 film "Top Gun." The new release had been an answer to fans begging to see Tom Cruise back as Pete “Maverick” Mitchell.
Val Kilmer, known as “Iceman,” and Miles Teller, who played “Rooster,” starred alongside Cruise.
The movie was an instant hit, becoming one of the highest grossing films of the year, in addition to "The Batman" and "Multiverse of Madness."
However, the question of originality and copyright stems from this '80s movie sequel, as the family of writer Ehud Yonay shared that the production company’s copyright to the inspiration article expired in 2020. Therefore, Paramount Pictures did not have the rights to release the film.
Like many COVID projects, timing is essential to observe-- Entertainment attorney Mitra Ahouraian told the BBC that Paramount's original scheduling plans to produce "Top Gun: Maverick" were delayed because of the pandemic. According to her, they still would have been within the date of their copyright otherwise.
Paramount holds that the claim made by Yonay's widow and son is “without merit,” but the lawsuit states the movie would be lost without Yonay's “literary efforts and evocative prose and narrative.
- Jesse Williams Talks Full Frontal Nudity on Broadway - Advocate Channel ›
- Kendrick Lamar Announces New Album! - Advocate Channel ›
- "It's so hard to care when you're this relaxed" - Advocate Channel ›
- Tom Holland Tops The Box Office Yet Again with Latest Film ... ›
- Machine Gun Kelly Drops New 'papercuts' Music Video - Advocate ... ›
- Lizzo Shades Liam Payne in New TikTok Post - Advocate Channel ›
- Minions: The Rise of Guru - July 2, 2021 - Advocate Channel ›
- Top Gun Box Office Success - Advocate Channel ›
- Lady Gaga Recorded the Theme Song for the New 'Top Gun ... ›
- 'Top Gun: Maverick' Buzzes The Box Office Tower This Weekend ... ›
- Hailey Bieber Is Being Sued for Trademark Infringement Over Rhode Skincare - Advocate Channel ›
- The Top 5 Best Chandler Bing Quotes - Advocate Channel ›
- The Most Anticipated Movie Sequels Premiering In 2021 & 2022 - Advocate Channel ›