Tom Hanks is one of Hollywood's legendary actors and we're taking a look back on some of his iconic roles.
The two-time Academy Award winner has been working in the industry since 1980, with his first appearance in the film He Knows You're Alone. He went on to star in the comedy show Bosom Buddies and made guest appearances in various shows including Family Ties. His first major film role was in 1984, starring in Splash, and then appeared in countless comedies and dramas to follow. Hanks has gone on to direct and write films like That Thing You Do! and Larry Crowne. Most recently, Hanks wrote the film Greyhound. This Friday, his new film will be released on Apple TV+, and to honor Hanks' new release, let's look back on his best performances.
Directed by Ron Howard, the classic space drama Apollo 13 stars Hanks as Jim Lovell. When his spaceship is overcome with damage, NASA and Hanks must figure out a safe plan to return to Earth. The film includes an all-star cast with Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise and Ed Harris.
Captain Phillips is an incredibly intense drama by director Paul Greengrass and based on the true story of Captain Richard Phillips. In 2009, Somali pirates hijacked the U.S. Maersk Alabama, leaving Hanks to figure out a way to get himself and his crew home alive. This film looks at the power of human nature and audiences will be at the edge of their seats throughout the whole film!
Hanks stars as Chuck Noland, a FedEx employee who becomes stranded on a deserted island for four years. In this unforgettable survival drama, he must adapt mentally and physically to survive on the island, while never giving up hope that he'll be rescued.
One of Hanks' best comedic performances can be seen in the 1988 film, Big. A twelve-year old Josh Baskin wishes to be "big." Not long after, he magically transforms into a 30-year old version of himself. The film shows how stressful and challenging adult-life can get. The film is simply a reminder to its audience to enjoy youth while you can and take growing up slowly. And of course, you can't forget about that classic giant piano scene.
Forrest Gump won 6 Academy Awards including Best Picture, with Hanks starring as the sweet, charming and innocent man Forrest Gump. This is one of Hanks' msot well-known and beloved performances by audiences. The film follows Forrest during the Kennedy and Johnson presidencies, the events of the Vietnam War, Watergate and other various historical moments through the eyes of Forrest, whose dream is to be reunited with his childhood sweetheart Jenny.
Check out all of these performances and his new film, Greyhound on Apple TV+ out this Friday!
- The 'Apollo 13' Film Turns 25 Today. Here Are Some Fun Facts ... ›
- Seth Rogen Is Producing A New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie! ›
- Disney is Developing Movie Musical On Lionel Richie's Song Catalog ›
- A New Trailer For Matthew Vaughn's 'The King's Man' Gives Fans A ... ›
- Our Top 5 Joseph Gordon-Levitt Performances - Advocate Channel ›
- Our Top 5 Rachel McAdams Performances - Advocate Channel ›
- Celebrity Birthdays for July 9, 2020 - Advocate Channel ›
- In Honor Of Shark Week, Here Are Our Favorite Shark Films (video) - Advocate Channel ›
- Joseph Poliquin Spills On Working With Tom Hanks & Joseph-Gordon Levitt On His Debut Films - Advocate Channel ›
- Our Favorite Keanu Reeves Performances From His Career - Advocate Channel ›
- Our Favorite Angelina Jolie Performances Throughout the Years - Advocate Channel ›
- Elvis Presley's Biographical Drama Delayed To 2022 - Advocate Channel ›