"We are just getting started."
Strong Black Lead is a platform within Netflix that advances Black stories, creators, and experiences on the streaming service by amplifying Black movies, shows, documentaries, and more. Although, they are apart of Netflix, they have brought in their own crowd and gained much attention through the years on social media with over half-million followers on Instagram and over 200,000 followers onTwitter.
In the encouraging video posted for the anniversary many significant faces and stories were included in the mashup. Some people included the Obama's, Zendaya, Stranger Things Caleb McLaughlin and many snippets of movies on the streaming site.
"We are not a genre because there is no one way to be Black," Caleb McLaughlin stated in the video.
“There’s no one way to be Black. We’re writing while Black. Nuanced and complex. Resilient and strong. This is not… https://t.co/rwfEPAKqno— Netflix (@Netflix) 1613660470
The group has brought us many shows to the surface like the #HeyQueen short form video series featuring former First Lady Michelle Obama and Angelina basset, the Strong Black Legends and Okay, Now Listen podcasts and #BetweenTwoFaves which brings conversation from icons about the Black diaspora in the entertainment industry.
According toThe Hollywood Reporter the SBL team started by "a few black staffers were like 'Hey, we want to start prioritizing and taking to the Black audience," said Maya Watson, Netflix's director of editorial publishing. "it was a little whisper that I feel people felt: It's our time. Its tome to shift the narratives in Hollywood. It's time to have more representation."
Recently, the team has just announced a few new releases that will be going on Netflix. Some include a new announcement Thursday morning of SULWE, the animated musical that is based off of Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o's New York Times best selling book. The musical entails a young girl who is born "the color of midnight" and will learn to accept her beauty from the inside.
Strong Black Lead on Twitter
We’re so excited to announce SULWE, the animated musical, is coming to Netflix! Based off of Oscar winner Lupita Ny… https://t.co/gWmnczYwjI— Strong Black Lead (@Strong Black Lead) 1613659004
They have also spotlighted a new documentary series on Netflix, AMEND: The Fight For America. It focuses on the 14th amendment and the struggle for equality that continues to sweep through America.
"It really isn't until Strong Black Lead that I even remotely feel included, and seen, and represented as I do now," A speaker front the anniversary video.
Congratulations on three years and counting SBL!
"This is not a moment, This is a movement," Caleb McLaughlin said.
- Seven Iconic Black-Led Sitcoms Are Coming To Netflix - Advocate ... ›
- Advocate Channel ›
- Netflix Reveals New Streaming Plan For 'The Circle' & 'Too Hot To Handle' - Advocate Channel ›
- Jamie Foxx Returns To TV With 'Dad Stop Embarrassing Me!' - Advocate Channel ›
- Lady Gaga Reveals Inspiration Behind 'Born This Way' Song & Album Title - Advocate Channel ›
- WATCH: New Trailer for Western Film 'The Harder They Fall' Coming to Netflix - Advocate Channel ›
- Everything Coming to Netflix in September - Advocate Channel ›
- What to Expect from Janet Jackson's Documentary - Advocate Channel ›
- Black History Month: The First Black Oscar Winner - Advocate Channel ›
- 'Stranger Things' Season Five Will Be Its Last - Advocate Channel ›
- 'The Morning Show' Renewed For Season Three - Advocate Channel ›
- The Official Trailer for "Stranger Things" Season 4 Is Here! - Advocate Channel ›
- Netflix Shares Final Trailer for 'Stranger Things' Season 4 - Advocate Channel ›