11 years before Gaga was born, black religious activist Carl Bean wrote a song about being "Born This Way". Bean is an openly gay Motown artist that founded the Unity Fellowship Church in LA. In 2010, he published a memoir titled "I Was Born This Way".
Born This Way, my song and album, were inspired by Carl Bean, a gay black religious activist who preached, sung and wrote about being \u201cBorn This Way.\u201d Notably his early work was in 1975, 11 years before I was born.pic.twitter.com/92oIuPQYHs— Lady Gaga (@Lady Gaga) 1621822571
Gaga also went on to say,
"Thank you for decades of relentless love, bravery, and a reason to sing. So we can all feel joy, because we deserve joy. Because we deserve the right to inspire tolerance, acceptance, and freedom for all."
- Netflix's 'Strong Black Lead' is Celebrating Three Years - Advocate ... ›
- Lady Gaga Appears On Billboard's 2021 Grammy Preview Cover ... ›
- Celebs Recognize World Mental Health Day - Advocate Channel ›
- A Timeline of Lady Gaga's Number One Hits - Advocate Channel ›
- The Advocate, OUt and Pride now under LGBTQ+ ownership - Advocate Channel ›
- Lady Gaga Tells Lawmakers "Not to Mess" With Marriage Equality - Advocate Channel ›
- Indigenous Leader and Activist Revealed as White - Advocate Channel ›