As the death toll of Palestinian civilians rises, those trapped in Gaza see little hope.
1,200 people have been killed and more than 2,700 have been injured since Hamas’ surprise attack on Israel Saturday, according to the Israel Defense Force. It marks the deadliest attack on the nation in 50 years.
In Gaza, over 1,100 Palestinian civilians have been killed in Israel’s retaliation and 5,000 have been injured, the health ministries in Gaza and the West Bank said Wednesday.
“It’s all collateral damage. We are all civilians, normal doctors, nurses, teachers, students. We’re not Hamas,” Mohamed Mughisib, a Palestinian doctor and a deputy coordinator with Doctors Without Borders, told NBCin a phone call from Gaza. “It’s the children who are dying."
Over 260,000 people in Gaza have been displaced, the United Nations said Wednesday. Israel announced a complete siege of the territory, cutting off Palestinian civilians' access to water, food, fuel, and electricity. Only 5 percent of residents had access to clean drinking water in their homes even before the current war, NBC reports.
Hamas took control of Gaza during elections in 2006. The territory has been blockaded by Israel and Egypt since 2007, and referred to by many as an "open-air concentration camp."
Hamas considers itself a freedom-fighting movement against occupation, but is widely considered a terrorist organization by countries worldwide. Palestinians hold conflicting views on the group, with many who do not support its use of violence.
World leaders have criticized Israel's response to the attacks for their impact on civilians. UN Human Rights chief Volker Türk said in a statement Tuesday that Israel's retaliatory bombings and "seizes" targeting Palestinian residential buildings and schools are illegal under international law, which Turk said amount to "collective punishment" — a war crime.
U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders also spoke out against Israel's siege of Gaza, describing the attacks on civilians and their resources as a “serious violation of international law," noting that “the targeting of civilians is a war crime, no matter who does it."
Mughisib said that the retaliation from Israel is the worst they’ve experienced.
“Every 30 minutes you wake up from a severe strike and shaking of the building and shrapnel flying,” he continued. “You see your neighbor has been injured, someone that you know has been killed. Every minute there is some sad news.”
- Elon Musk’s X Slammed For Spreading Misinformation on Israel-Hamas Conflict ›
- Israel-Hamas War Adds Urgency to U.S. House Speaker Battle ›
- Israeli Air Strikes and Seize of Gaza Condemned as 'War Crimes' ›
- Biden Condemns Anti-Semitism and 'Unadulterated Evil' of Hamas, Pledges Aid to Israel ›
- Friday's Top Stories: House Speaker, Blinken Visits Israel ›
- Gaza Queering the Map: LGBTQ+ Palestinians Mourn Loved Ones ›
- Israel Bombs Hospital and School, Killing Hundreds ›
- Israel's Story on the Gaza Hospital Strike Keeps Changing ›
- Rashida Tlaib Condemns Joe Biden After Gaza Hospital Strike ›
- Thursday's Top Stories: Biden in Israel, Migrant Shelters ›
- State Department Official Resigns Over Israel-Hamas Response ›
- Democrats Urge Biden to Push For Cease-Fire in Israel ›
- Biden Arrives in Israel to Outrage Over Gaza Hospital Strike ›
- Palestinians Following Evacuation Orders Killed in Airstrike ›
- Jews Fear Israel-Hamas War Could Make Anti-Semitism Worse ›
- Thai Agricultural Workers Among Those Dead in Hamas Attacks ›
- Israel's Order Millions Evacuate Gaza 'Impossible,' UN Warns ›
- Scotland Says It Is Ready and Willing to Take Gazan Refugees ›
- Friday's Top Stories: Gaza Hospital, War Misinformation ›
- UN Sounds Alarm on 'Risk of Genocide' Against Palestinians ›
- Gaza Humanitarian Crisis Dwarfs Trickle of Aid Allowed In ›
- Saturday's Stories: Biden Pledges Aid, Can Congress Pass It? ›
- Monday's Top Stories: War Displacements, a House Divided ›
- Media Coverage of Israel and Gaza is Rife With Deadly Double Standards ›
- Tuesday's Top Stories: Hate Crimes, House Speaker, Strikes ›
- 2,000 Gazan Kids Have Been Killed, One Million Are 'Trapped' ›
- Palestinians Fear Another Forced Exodus Is on the Horizon ›
- Why Pink Floyd's Roger Waters Wearing a Nazi Uniform Isn't Anti-Semitic ›
- Jordan's Queen Condemns 'Silence' on Gaza Deaths From West ›
- Thursday's Top Stories: Mike Johnson, Gaza in Crisis ›
- UN Halts Aid Operations in Gaza as Israel Denies Fuel ›
- Bella Hadid Breaks Silence on Israel-Hamas War ›
- Israel Cuts All Communications in Gaza, Drastically Escalates Bombings ›
- Friday's Top Stories: Maine Shooting, U.S. Strikes Iran ›
- 3,000 Children in Gaza Have Been Killed by Israel ›
- Journalists Believed to Be ‘Targeted’ by Israel: Press Group ›
- Monday's Top Stories: Maine Shooting, Israel Bombards Gaza ›
- Gaza Civilians Are 'Being Dehumanized,' UN Warns ›
- Tuesday's Top Stories: U.S. Troops, Palestinians Fear Arrest ›
- Gaza Has Become a 'Graveyard' For Children: UN ›
- Here Are Ways to Help Palestinians That Aren't Just Donating ›
- Israel Faces Condemnation For Strike on Gaza Refugee Camp ›
- US Warns Israel Amid Gaza Carnage It Doesn’t Have Long Before Support Erodes ›
- Why Being Pro-Palestine Isn't Anti-Semitic: Queen Rania ›
- Rashida Tlaib Censured by House For Being Pro-Palestine ›