Sen. Bernie Sanders condemned Israel on Wednesday for cutting off electricity, food, fuel, and water to the more than 2 million residents of Gaza, describing it as a “serious violation of international law.”
“The targeting of civilians is a war crime, no matter who does it. Israel’s blanket denial of food, water, and other necessities to Gaza is a serious violation of international law and will do nothing but harm innocent civilians,” Sanders said in a statement.
Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant on Monday ordered a “complete siege” of Gaza. He proudly declared that "there will be no electricity, no food, no water, no fuel" for the more than 2 million Palestinians civilians who are not involved in Hamas. He justified the decision by claiming that "we are fighting against human animals."
While Sanders praised the United States for “rightly” offering support to Israel, he reminded that "half of the two million people in Gaza are children."
“We must also insist on restraint from Israeli forces attacking Gaza and work to secure U.N. humanitarian access. Let us not forget that half of the two million people in Gaza are children. Children and innocent people do not deserve to be punished for the acts of Hamas,” he said.
While Sanders expressed solidarity with Palestinians, he echoed President Joe Biden's sentiment earlier this week that Hamas does not represent the best interest of the Palestinian people. Sanders said that Hamas' attack over the weekend is a “major setback for any hope of peace and reconciliation in the region — and justice for the Palestinian people.”
“Right now, the international community must focus on reducing humanitarian suffering and protecting innocent people on both sides of the conflict,” he said. “For many, it is no secret that Gaza has been an open-air prison, with millions of people struggling to secure basic necessities. Hamas terrorism will make it more difficult to address that tragic reality.”
- Elon Musk’s X Slammed For Spreading Misinformation on Israel-Hamas Conflict ›
- Israeli Air Strikes and Seize of Gaza Condemned as 'War Crimes' ›
- Biden Condemns Anti-Semitism and 'Unadulterated Evil' of Hamas, Pledges Aid to Israel ›
- Israel-Hamas War Adds Urgency to U.S. House Speaker Battle ›
- Friday's Top Stories: House Speaker, Blinken Visits Israel ›
- Tuesday's Top Stories: Israel Preps Invasion, Gaza Turmoil ›
- 15 Journalists Have Died Covering the Israel-Hamas War ›
- Gaza Queering the Map: LGBTQ+ Palestinians Mourn Loved Ones ›
- Israel Bombs Hospital and School, Killing Hundreds ›
- Wednesday's Top Stories: House Speaker, Hate Crimes, Israel ›
- Israel's Story on the Gaza Hospital Strike Keeps Changing ›
- Rashida Tlaib Condemns Joe Biden After Gaza Hospital Strike ›
- Biden Arrives in Israel to Outrage Over Gaza Hospital Strike ›
- Palestinians Following Evacuation Orders Killed in Airstrike ›
- Jews Fear Israel-Hamas War Could Make Anti-Semitism Worse ›
- Thai Agricultural Workers Among Those Dead in Hamas Attacks ›
- Israel's Order Millions Evacuate Gaza 'Impossible,' UN Warns ›
- Friday's Top Stories: Gaza Hospital, War Misinformation ›
- UN Sounds Alarm on 'Risk of Genocide' Against Palestinians ›
- Watch Bernie Sanders Stop a Republican Senator From Fist-Fighting a Union Leader ›