There might not be any "crying in baseball", but there's plenty to get emotional about in the new Prime Video series A League of Their Own. Based on the 1992 film, which starred Tom Hanks, Madonna, Rosie O'Donnell, Lori Petty and Geena Davis, this new series includes a much more diverse cast of actresses.
While the original film was a huge hit, it also featured a predominantly white and straight cast of characters.
This new series reflects, more accurately, the actual demographics of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League, which was started during World War II, while most men were overseas fighting.
The actual league had many lesbian and latina players but discriminated against black women. All of these storylines are featured prominently in the new iteration, as the cast told Advocate Channel:
"Yeah I think we're really excited to delve into that untold dynamic, that untold part of the original story. A lot of the women who left their lives and left their husbands...were queer and I think that's why the film has such a large queer following," Kelly McCormack shared.
"It was interesting to learn how many Cuban people played on the team and that they even did some training sessions in Cuba. The rule was basically kind of unspoken but very spoken rule that you've got to be kind of 'white passing' and that was it. And so a lot of the players, which no one has ever discussed until this point, didn't speak english..., said Roberta Colindrez.
"Racism was rampant. Even in how they traveled to their games, it was very very different. And the expectations of them might have been even higher than for the white players," Saidah Arrika Ekulona told us.
Fans of the film will see one familiar face in the series: Rosie O'Donnell. The new cast was excited to have O'Donnell's blessing and support. As Colindrez told us:
"It's Rosie like you haven't seen her. Or like that you wished you'd have seen her in the movie."
A League of Their Own is streaming now on Prime Video.
- here's what's new to watch and stream - Celebrity Page ›
- What To Watch Today, July 15th - Celebrity Page ›
- Inside the new Madea movie now streaming on Netflix - Celebrity ... ›
- It's National Streaming Day: Celebrate With Disney's Streaming ... ›
- The beloved Amber Brown books now a streaming series - Celebrity ... ›
- 'PLL' & 'True Blood' Get Rebooted For HBO Max - Celebrity Page ›
- A League of Their Own Is 'Forgetting the Rules' in New Trailer ... ›
- 'A League of Their Own' Teaser Trailer Just Dropped - Celebrity Page ›