Though she started as a fashion account during the Covid-19 pandemic, Carla recently gained further attention when she began opening up to her 1.3 million followers about her daughter Ivy's transition. Carla has since become an example for parents of other transgender adolescents to follow during their period of change.
Carla & Ivy Rockmore | Advocate Now
"At first I was scared. I was scared because she wasn't sitting well in her skin," Carla tells Sonia Baghdady of Advocate Now. "And if she's not living her authentic self, then she's never going to be happy. But at the same time, I was afraid for how difficult your life is going to be."
As for Carla's biggest piece of advice to parents of transgender children, she says: "listen."
"First thing I would say is, listen. And understand that this isn't a choice," Carla explains. "And to be there as a support, as a pillar and to accept. And if you happen to have reservations or questions that you feel you're not ready to hear, keep them to yourself."
As for Ivy, she believes her mother has handled her transition "with grace," and shares that their relationship hasn't changed since she came out, but rather strengthened.
"I ask her for help with clothes a lot more," Ivy jokes. "I steal her boots now sometimes because we're somewhat the same shoe size, but otherwise, our relationship really hasn't changed. If anything, it's probably become more honest and open because I feel like that's almost a necessity to have a healthy relationship with someone who is going through the process."
For more interviews like these, watch Advocate Now on The Advocate Channel.
- Missouri to Carry Out First Execution of Openly Transgender Person Today ›
- Black Democrats Support Transgender Identity Less Than Their Peers, Study Finds ›
- NHL Takes Stance in Support of Transgender Athletes ›
- Bailey Spinn on 'Romance Is Dead,' Coming Out & More | AdvocateChannel.com ›
- Donald Trump Gives the Game Away on Conservatives' Transgender Panic ›
- The Advocate Channel, a First Among LGBTQ+ Digital Streaming Apps, Officially Launches ›
- Trans Youth Deeply Impacted by Gender-Affirming Care Bans ›