Space Jam: A New Legacy crushed the competition with an impressive domestic total of $31.7 million in its first weekend. This exceeded Warner Bros.' expectations as they were only anticipating a weekend domestic total of about $20 million. Overseas, the film was able to tack on an additional $23 million, bringing the global weekend total to $54.7 million.
It must be taken into account that Space Jam: A New Legacy was also available to stream on HBO Max this weekend, and the revenue from those streams has not been revealed.
Space Jam: A New Legacy is now playing in theaters and streaming on HBO Max.
With Space Jam: A New Legacy exceeding expectations, some films were left in the dust. For example, Black Widow suffered a 67% decline this past weekend, earning a just $26.3 million domestically, bringing the 10-day domestic total to $132 million. In third place, Escape Room: Tournament of Champions did well for itself earning a modest $8.8 million domestically in its first weekend. To put this in perspective, its successor, Escape Room, debuted to $18.2 million back in 2019, pre-pandemic.
In other news, F9 earned an additional $7.6 million in its fourth weekend for a grand total of $154.8 million. This is only the second film to gross more than $150 million in the pandemic era; the first film to do so was A Quiet Place Part II. Needless to say, the box office this weekend was full of highs and lows.
- The Most Anticipated Movie Sequels Premiering In 2021 & 2022 ... ›
- Celebrity Page ›
- Lebron James Unveils New Jersey For 'Space Jam 2' - Celebrity Page ›
- Celebs Attend Space Jam Sequel Event at Six Flags - Celebrity Page ›
- 'Jungle Cruise' Sails Past Competition in Weekend Box Office - Celebrity Page ›
- Ryan Reynolds' 'Free Guy' Dominates The Weekend Box Office - Celebrity Page ›