Kevin McCarthy made history on Tuesday when he became the first speaker of the House of Representatives to be removed in a vote by his colleagues.
After less than nine months on the job, conservative Republicans led the charge to remove their leader after McCarthy (barely) worked with Democrats to avoid the impending government shutdown last week. The move signals deep fractures from within the party as their 2024 presidential front-runner faces nearly 100 separate criminal charges.
McCarthy removed from speakership
McCarthy infamously "earned" his position as Speaker of the House in January, after it took legislators 15 rounds of voting to confirm him — significantly more than it took them to remove him.
As he was unpopular among Democrats and the further-right members of his party from the beginning, his detractors wasted no time in celebrating his removal.
Mary Trump, the niece of Donald Trump who earned notoriety for her criticisms of her famous family member, measured McCarthy’s time as speaker in “Scaramuccis” — a reference to Anthony Scaramucci, who was employed as the former president’s press secretary for less than two weeks.
McCarthy was ousted on October 3, also known as Mean Girls Day — a reference to the scene in the iconic movie where the main character is asked by the boy she has a crush on what day it is. The official account for the Democratic Party marked McCarthy's ousting with a tribute to the film.
But Mean Girls wasn't the only iconic 2000s movie referenced. When McCarthy posted a social media message to those trying to remove him, which simply read "bring it on," stars from the film also chimed in.
Speaking of movies (and McCarthy's January blunder)...
View our favorite Donald Trump mugshot memes here.
- Trump Mugshot Makes History... And Memes ›
- Millions of Families Will Lose Child Care Thanks to Republican Stonewalling ›
- Republican Infighting Pushes Government Towards Shutdown ›
- Biden Impeachment Inquiry to Begin, Despite Lack of Evidence ›
- Not Much Has Changed Since the Last House Speaker Challenge 100 Years Ago ›
- Friday's Top Stories: Congress Chaos, Biden Border Barriers ›
- Israel-Hamas War Adds Urgency to U.S. House Speaker Battle ›
- Democrats are Weaponizing Jim Jordan and They Just Might Win ›
- Most GOP Speaker Candidates Voted to Overturn 2020 Election ›
- Monday's Top Stories: War Displacements, a House Divided ›
- The Anti-LGBTQ+ Record of New House Speaker Mike Johnson ›