“More than anything, we need to change the poisonous atmosphere in Washington,” Biden said in remarks from the White House. “You know, we have strong disagreements, but we need to stop seeing each other as enemies. We need to talk to one another, listen to one another, work with one another. We can do that.”
McCarthy removed as Speaker
McCarthy was ousted from his position as Speaker of the House of Representatives after conservative GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz filed a motion to remove him. Gaetz was unhappy with McCarthy for his willingness to work with House Democrats to prevent the government from shutting down last week. Democrats then also voted to remove him.
In his remarks Wednesday, Biden praised McCarthy and other lawmakers for engaging in a successful bipartisan effort to keep the government open, but noted that funding is expected to run out again in November, as Congress only passed a temporary stopgap measure.
“We cannot and should not again be faced with an eleventh-hour decision of brinkmanship that threatens to shutdown the government," the President continued. “Our Republican colleagues remain committed to working in a bipartisan fashion. We were prepared to do it as well, for the good of the American people”.
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre recently said officials from Biden's administration will not weigh in on the debate over who the next Speaker should be. The current acting speaker is Patrick T. McHenry, a Republican from North Carolina, who can only recess the House, adjourn the chamber, and recognize speaker nominations.
When asked what advice he has for McCarthy’s eventual replacement, Biden laughed and responded: “That’s above my pay grade."
- Biden Impeachment Inquiry to Begin, Despite Lack of Evidence ›
- How Kevin McCarthy Flamed the Conservative Extremism That Felled Him ›
- Not Much Has Changed Since the Last House Speaker Challenge 100 Years Ago ›
- See the Best Memes From Kevin McCarthy's Historic Removal ›
- Israel-Hamas War Adds Urgency to U.S. House Speaker Battle ›
- Democrats are Weaponizing Jim Jordan and They Just Might Win ›
- Most GOP Speaker Candidates Voted to Overturn 2020 Election ›
- The Anti-LGBTQ+ Record of New House Speaker Mike Johnson ›
- Republicans Only Care About Debt When a Democrat Is President ›