"Lightyear," the "Toy Story" spin-off following the beloved animated character Buzz Lightyear, flopped in American movie theaters this weekend, only making $51 million during its domestic opening.
While the movie wasn't expected to do as well as other Pixar sequels like "Toy Story 4," "Incredibles 2" and "Finding Dory," the film was projected to open with more than $75 million in North America and over $125 million globally. Instead, “Lightyear's” worldwide gross was $85.6 million, a total that roughly matches Pixar's first big box office flop, 2015's "The Good Dinosaur." Like "Lightyear," "The Good Dinosaur" had a budget of around $200 million.
"Lightyear's" low box office draw was a symptom of the competition currently in theaters, including powerhouse money makers like "Jurassic World: Dominion" and "Top Gun: Maverick." "Jurassic World: Dominion" led the charts making $58 million in its second weekend, while "Top Gun: Maverick" made $44 million in its fourth weekend.
But there is hope for the space ranger; the movie got positive reviews from both critics and fans. The film received an A- on CinemaScore and Postrak ratings of 85% positive, with 61% saying they would "definitely recommend" the film. While on Rotten Tomatoes, "Lightyear" got an audience score of 85% and a critics score of 76%. Although relatively high, the movie is well overshadowed by its predecessor, "Toy Story 4," which got a critics score of 97%.
- Johnny Sibilly Talks 'Pose' Final Season, Hosting 'Logo Live' & New ... ›
- Sandra Bullock Takes A Step Back From Public Life - Advocate Channel ›
- 'The Voice' Returns With New Safety Precautions Amid COVID-19 ... ›
- Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga on Netflix ... ›
- Drake Files Restraining Order Against "Stalker" After Receiving ... ›
- 'Fast and Furious' Memes Take the Internet by Storm - Advocate Channel ›
- HGTV'S David Bromstad Finally Finds His Own Dream Home ... ›
- RJ Mitte Inspires Audiences On Empowering New Movie 'Triumph ... ›
- The Best Pizza Scenes From Film & TV Shows For National Pizza ... ›
- 'Back to the Future' Came Out 35 Years Ago Today. Where Are The ... ›
- Brian Kelley, Editor - Advocate Channel ›
- Chris Evans on the Importance of Same-Sex Kiss in 'Lightyear ... ›
- Pixar Releases New Trailer for 'Lightyear' with Chris Evans ... ›
- New Teaser Trailer Released for 'Lightyear' Starring Chris Evans as ... ›
- your tv, movie and streaming weekend viewing guide - Advocate Channel ›