Announcement of the Move
Financed by Apple StudiosEmancipation follows the life of a runaway slave played by Will Smith. After the passing of the new Georgia voting laws, both Smith and director Antoine Fuqua felt it was unjust to pursue production in the state.
In a statement released by Smith's production company Westbrook Inc., Smith and Fuqua state,
"We cannot in good conscience provide economic support to a government that enacts regressive voting laws that are designed to restrict voter access."
What Are the New Laws?
Georgia's voting laws now grant new restrictions on absentee voting, including an ID requirement and strict rules on how drop boxes can be used. While it expands early voting access for some Georgia voters, it also sets new rules for state and local election officials.
Production Still Underway
There is no need to question the shooting start date set for June 21, however sources say the filming may relocate to Louisiana, where many events of the plot take place.
More Events Move Out of Georgia
I want to applaud and extend a thank you to @MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred for moving the All Star Game out of Georg… https://t.co/6k3XkIV4oN— Earvin Magic Johnson (@Earvin Magic Johnson) 1617392188
Emancipation begins shooting in Summer 2021 with an unannounced released date as of now.
- Broadway Stars Come Together To Sing A Message For Georgia ... ›
- The Banks Family Is Back! 'Fresh Prince' Reunion Trailer Drops ... ›
- Why Did Will Smith Turn Down 'The Matrix'? - Advocate Channel ›
- Watching Porn Online in Louisiana Now Requires ID Verification - Advocate Channel ›
- Jada Pinkett Smith Drops Bombshells in Recent Interviews ›