NBC has announced that they will be ending their relationship between themselves and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association after the Los Angeles times revealed some troubling diversity and ethics issues within the nonprofit organization. The HFPA is responsible for holding the Golden Globes.
While the voting members of the HFPA are confidential, a report from the LA Times revealed a startling lack of diversity amongst the voting members, as well as rumors of financial benefits given to some members. Some members of the HFPA allegedly stayed in a hotel paid for by Emily in Paris.
While this is all skepticism and nothing is confirmed, companies such as WarnerMedia, Netflix, and now NBC, have withdrawn from the Golden Globes until the matter is thoroughly vetted and resolved.
A statement from NBC read, "We continue to believe that the HFPA is committed to meaningful reform. However, change of this magnitude takes time and work, and we feel strongly that the HFPA needs time to do it right. As such, NBC will not air the 2022 Golden Globes".
Rumors of ethical issues surrounding the award show have been circulating for years, with five time host Ricky Gervais joking about it on several occasions. What these actions will do is yet to be seen, but it looks like cleanup time for the Hollywood Foreign Press.
For more Award show news, click here.
- Nomandland Caps Off The Night - Advocate Channel ›
- LIVE UPDATES: 2021 Golden Globes Award Show - Advocate Channel ›
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture ... ›
- Things Aren't Looking Good for the 2022 Golden Globe Awards - Advocate Channel ›
- The Golden Globe Awards 2022 Winners: See The Full List - Advocate Channel ›
- Full List: Nominees For The 2021 Golden Globes Announced - Advocate Channel ›