Actor, Dax Shepard, had celebrated 16 years of sobriety before these past few months. His loving wife, Kristen Bell, noted that we are all facing demons now more than ever. For some it could be depression and anxiety and for others it could unfortunately be substance abuse.
Ellen applauded them both for their honesty and commitment for better health. Shepard's recent relapse came as he was prescribed medications to help heal from an accident that shattered his shoulder and broke four ribs.
Kristen Bell shared this selfie to Instagram following Shepard's hospitalization for the motorcycle accident
Shepard and Bell had a good system worked out that had Bell in charge of all medications so she could ensure he was taking the correct dosage. Though that system worked for prescribed medications, Shepard found himself buying pills of his own.
Bell told Ellen:
"The thing I love most about Dax, is A: he was able to tell me, and tell us, and say we need a different plan. Right? Like, we have a plan...if he has to take medication for any reason, I have to administer it. But, he was like, so we need a stronger plan. I (Shepard) was faltering and I have to do some sort of emotional work to figure out why I wanted to use again."
That honesty is very important to Bell who went on to say it's why she loves him so much.
"One of the main reasons I love him is that he is also addicted to growth. He's addicted to evolving."
Shepard assured Bell that he did not want to lose his family or put them at risk which is why he is so committed to an honest road to recovery. Together, the pair have two daughters.
Exclusive: Kristen Bell on Dax Shepard’s Sobriety
You can watch Kristen Bell's full interview with Ellen above. Best of luck to Shepard as he recovers!
- Slate Follows Suit With Exit From 'Big Mouth' - Advocate Channel ›
- Kristen Bell Steps Down From Role On 'Central Park' - Advocate Channel ›
- Kristen Bell & Jenny Slate Step Down from Voicing Black Characters ... ›
- Josh Duhamel Makes His Directing Debut In New Comedy 'Buddy Games' - Advocate Channel ›
- Dax Shepard Reveals How He Told His Children About His Relapse - Advocate Channel ›
- How Does the 'Abortion Pill' Work? - Advocate Channel ›