Want to catch up with the news quickly? Here are the top stories from Thursday, September 28, 2023.
For daily news updates, watch AC 24/7 on The Advocate Channel.
1. A government shutdown is days away — how will it impact Americans?
Congress currently has just three days to strike a deal and prevent a government shutdown that would impact millions of Americans. Lawmakers have made little progress towards preventing a crisis that would hit homes across the country on Oct. 1, unless lawmakers can pass a federal budget.
President Biden stated that Americans need House Republicans to “do their job” as he holds out hope that congress will take action by the end-of-week deadline and shutdown will be avoided.
2. Republican presidential candidates spew hatred at second primary debate
The second Republican presidential debate of 2023 aired last night on the Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network. Univision anchor Ilia Calderón served as moderator, and former president Donald Trump once again declined to attend.
The discussions were rife with anti-transgender sentiment, with candidates calling trans people mentally ill and promising to ban gender-affirming health care. The debate was also marked by the usual GOP talking points: cut taxes, cut spending, cut regulations, allow school “choice,” ban critical race theory, close the borders, promote fossil fuels, stop abortion, put down teachers’ unions.
3. Donald Trump found liable in New York, stripped of business certification
New York judge found Donald Trump and his adult sons liable for fraud on Monday, and canceled the Trump Organization’s business certification in the state. The ruling doesn't bode well for the former president as he seeks reelection in 2024 and faces numerous criminal charges in other states.
Judge Arthur Engoron rejected Trump’s claims that he didn’t inflate the values of his golf courses, hotels, or homes at Mar-a-Lago and Seven Springs on financial statements. In his ruling, the judge said that Trump's logic was from "a fantasy world, not the real world."
- Republican Debate Sees No Clear Winner Amidst Petty Digs and Infighting ›
- Why Donald Trump Is Skipping the Republican Debate ›
- Republicans' Government Funding Proposal Is Dead on Arrival — And For Good Reason ›
- What Happens If the Government Shuts Down? ›
- Republican Infighting Pushes Government Towards Shutdown ›