Olivia Rodrigo took the world by storm in 2021 when her debut album, Sour, broke streaming records as all eleven tracks landed in the top thirty of Billboard's Hot 100 chart. Rodrigo became the first woman artist to achieve this, and has since been nominated for countless awards, including seven Grammy nominations.
Now, Rodrigo has another award under her belt after Billboard's Women in Music ceremony honored her as "Woman of the Year." She opened the show by performing her hit 'Deja Vu,' and was presented with the award by legendary country artist Sheryl Crow.
Rodrigo gave a heartfelt acceptance speech, where she thanked not only Crow, but every artist present. She said,
“It’s not always easy being a young woman in the music industry, but I’ve found so much strength from the female songwriters who have come before me and paved the way and opened doors for so many young women like me. Every woman here today is working to break down those barriers and change the narrative and support each other."
But Rodrigo didn't just honor the women in the industry--she also shouted out the women at home. She continued,
"I wanna say to all the young girls out there who are writing songs every day, in their journals, on their bedroom floors — I am constantly moved by your vulnerability and your creativity and bravery, and I promise everyone here today is working to make this world and this industry a better place for you."
Rodrigo then spoke about her music, and what it means to her, stating,
"What I love most about songwriting is its ability to perfectly capture how I feel better than anything I could have said in a conversation. Songwriting has always been everything to me, so for people to connect with my music is beyond a dream come true.”
- National Pizza Day: Celebs Who LOVE Pizza ›
- The Recording Academy Releases This Year's Grammy Performers ›
- Celebrities Urge Their Fans To Vote As Election Day Arrives ... ›
- Stars Who Got Their Big Break On Disney - Advocate Channel ›
- Nick Jonas Will Host the 2021 Billboard Music Awards - Advocate ... ›
- Best Moments of BTS Breaking The Internet - Advocate Channel ›
- Olivia Rodrigo's New Single Drops This Friday - Advocate Channel ›
- Olivia Rodrigo's "Drivers License" Rides To The Top Of The Charts ... ›
- Olivia Rodrigo Releases 'Sour' Movie - Advocate Channel ›
- The Recording Academy Releases This Year's Grammy Performers - Advocate Channel ›
- National Pizza Day: Celebs Who LOVE Pizza - Advocate Channel ›