Want to catch up with the news quickly? Here are the top stories from Wednesday, December 6, 2023.
For daily news updates, watch AC 24/7 on The Advocate Channel.
1. Republican Senator finally lifts block on military appointments
Republican Senator Tommy Tuberville of Alabama has been single-handedly blocking the consideration of nearly every senior military nomination since February. On Tuesday, he finally relented, and the Senate was able to confirm hundreds of Defense Department leadership positions.
However, 23 senior military nominees remain stalled from holds related to conservative senators’ objections to Pentagon policies surrounding abortion and diversity training. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer warned Tuesday that “military nominees should never, never become pawns to push a partisan agenda.”
The hold-outs could be resolved within days or weeks, depending on debate between Republicans and Democrats in Senate discussions. Schumer vowed to continue to push back against Republican lawmakers holding the proceedings hostage.
2. All in the Family producer Norman Lear dead at 101
TV writer and producer Norman Lear, who gave the world comic archetypes such as Archie Bunker, Fred Sanford, Maude Findlay, and George Jefferson, has passed away at the age of 101. A family spokesperson, Lara Bergthold, made the announcement Tuesday but did not provide an immediate cause of Lear's death.
Lear was not just an entertainment titan — he was also a staunch progressive activist who introduced many controversial topics to television writing, including racial prejudice, divorce, sexual assault, inner-city inequalities, and class struggles.
3. Expelled from Congress, George Santos turns to Cameo
George Santos, the out former New York congressman enveloped in a series of controversies, has made his debut on Cameo. Following his recent expulsion from the U.S. House of Representatives, Santos is charging $200 per video on the platform.
Sanots was ousted on Friday for spending campaign money on luxury goods and Onlyfans, among other things.
- Here Are Ways You Can Help Palestinian Civilians That Aren't Just Donating ›
- Being Pro-Palestinian Does Not Equal Being 'Anti-Semitic:' Queen Rania of Jordan ›
- Social Media Sites Aren't Pushing Pro-Palestine Content — There's Just More Users Posting It ›
- Israel Has Arrested Almost as Many Palestinians as It Has Released During the Truce ›
- Naval Academy Becomes Latest Target of Anti-Affirmative Action Group ›