Miley Cyrus has grown up in the spotlight with people watching her every move. Now, she's coming clean about her own path to sobriety.
Cyrus has been a consistent advocate for recreational drug use over the past years. However, due to the singer's vocal chord surgery back in November, which required her to be completely sober, Miley is now living a sober lifestyle. In an interview with Variety, she shared her reasoning of going completely sober:
"I've been sober sober for the past six months. At the beginning, it was just about this vocal surgery... But I had been thinking a lot about my mother. My mom was adopted, and I inherited some of the feelings she had, the abandonment feelings and wanting to prove that you're wanted and valuable. I did a lot of family history, which has a lot of addiction and mental health challenges."
Cyrus had also shared the postive experience she has had with therapy and the importance of understanding the past. Although, she still has trouble dealing with the stigma around her sobriety:
"It's really hard because especially being so young, there's that stigma of 'you're no fun.' It's like, honey, you can call me a lot of things, but I know that I'm fun."
In addition to the surgery, Cyrus had recently called it quits with Liam Hemsworth and wanted to focus on perfecting her music and upcoming projects:
"It's been really important for me over the last year living a sober lifestyle, because I really wanted to polish up my craft. I don't want to wake up feeling groggy. I want to wake up feeling ready."
This major lifestyle change had fans on twitter congratulating Cyrus on her success:
.@MileyCyrus went live in October 2019 while she was bored & wound up announcing that she was proud of herself for… https://t.co/g6O9QyKxPb— Miley Cyrus Access (@Miley Cyrus Access) 1592757007
@MileyCyrus congrats on your 6 months sober! 🎇 🎉 🎊 🎉 🎊 Keep it up and I hope you are doing well and staying safe 🙏🏾— Philly Joe 🇺🇲 (@Philly Joe 🇺🇲) 1592969769
- Miley Cyrus Is Going Viral On Tik Tok For Challenging Fans To Dares - Advocate Channel ›
- Miley Cyrus And Lil Nas X Announced To Perform In New Amazon Christmas Special - Advocate Channel ›
- Miley Cyrus Talks New Music, Sobriety, and Social Distancing on Sirius XM's "The Morning Mash Up" - Advocate Channel ›
- She's Back! Miley Cyrus Embarks On New Music Era - Advocate Channel ›
- Miley Cyrus on Why She Went Sober in 2019 and 2020 ›
- Miley Cyrus reveals she has been sober for six months | NME ›
- Miley Cyrus Reveals She's Six Months Sober And Opens Up About ... ›
- Miley Cyrus Reveals She Is 6 Months Sober | E! News - YouTube ›
- Miley Cyrus Reveals She's 6 Months Sober: 'I Really Wanted to ... ›
- Miley Cyrus reveals she is six months sober, going to therapy ›