Democratic Senator John Fetterman has a deal for Republicans as a government shutdown looms over D.C.
“If those jagoffs in the House stop trying to shut our government down, and fully support Ukraine, then I will save democracy by wearing a suit on the Senate floor next week,” Fetterman said in a Wednesday statement.
Congress has just nine days to come to an agreement on government funding, otherwise the government will shut down at the end of the month. House Republicans earlier this week presented a stopgap measure that includes a nearly 8 percent cut on most federal agencies, as well as stricter border restrictions. The proposal also excluded funding for Ukraine and disaster relief.
The measure has yet to pass the House of Representatives thanks to holdouts from some of the party's more conservative members. The bill is highly unlikely to pass through the Democratic-controlled Senate, even if it makes it through the House.
John Fetterman and mental health
Fetterman's proposal to Republicans referenced the new Senate dress code implemented earlier this week. Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said Monday that the Senate's dress code will no longer be enforced by the Sergeant-at-Arms — the official in charge of enforcing certain policies of decorum in the Senate chambers — to the outrage of Republicans in Congress.
Fetterman has already been wearing casual clothes while performing his duties, voting from doorways so not to get removed from the chambers. In announcing the change in dress code, Schumer did not reference Fetterman, but several prominent conservatives have blamed him for the decision.
Fetterman has been quick to clap back at GOP insults. When Republican presidential candidate and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis insulted him while accusing the Senate of "dumbing down" their standards, the senator didn't mince words in his response.
“I dress like he campaigns," Fetterman wrote.
- Gisele Fetterman: 'The Right-Wing Hates Women' ›
- John Fetterman Checks Himself Into Hospital to Receive Treatment For Depression ›
- Senate Ditches Dress Code, John Fetterman Dresses Down Detractors ›
- John Fetterman Is 'Begging' Men to Seek Mental Health Treatment ›
- North Carolina Republicans Exert Control Over State Elections ›
- Monday's Top Stories: Government Shutdown, AI & Wildfires, Funding Haiti ›
- Dianne Feinstein Replacement Could Be Blocked by Republicans ›
- Friday's Top Stories: Dianne Feinstein Death, Biden Impeachment, Government Shutdown ›
- Monday Top Stories: Charlotte Sena, Tupac Shakur, Fall Virus ›