Want to catch up with the news quickly? Here are the top stories from Friday, September 15, 2023.
For daily news updates, watch AC 24/7 on The Advocate Channel.
1. UAW launches historic strike
The United Auto Workers launched a historic strike late Thursday night, targeting all three of Detroit's big automakers at once.
Union members at assembly plants in Michigan, Missouri, and Ohio went on strike after their labor contracts expired at 11:59 p.m. on Thursday. The UAW has dubbed the strike the "Stand Up Strike," which targets plants of the area's three largest automakers; Ford Motor Co., General Motors, and Stellantis.
Union leaders plan to target different plants with picket lines on different days, a tactic UAW President Shawn Fain said will "keep the companies guessing."
2. Hunter Biden indicted on federal gun charges
President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, has been indicted on federal gun charges, marking the first time in U.S. history the Justice Department has charged the child of a sitting president.
Hunter Biden’s lawyer, Abbe Lowell, claimed the indictment was a result of political pressure from Republicans. He said in statement: “Hunter Biden possessing an unloaded gun for 11 days was not a threat to public safety, but a prosecutor, with all the power imaginable, bending to political pressure presents a grave threat to our system of justice.”
3. Over 10,000 dead in Libya after devastating floods
As of Friday morning, the devastating floods in eastern Libya resulting from Mediterranean Storm Daniel have claimed 11,000, according to the Libyan Red Crescent. Another 10,000 are missing.
The coastal city of Derna was severely impacted after the collapse of two dams, which wiped out a quarter of the area. The city has been declared a disaster zone, and electricity and communications have been cut off, according to local officials.
- No, Conservatives — Biden Wasn't Behind the Trump Indictment ›
- Biden Isn't Worried About a United Auto Workers Strike, But Union Leader Says He Should Be ›
- Republicans Attacking Biden's Age Grapple With Mitch McConnell's Freezes ›
- Ford Revolutionized 5-Day Work Weeks, Now They Won't Give 4-Day a Shot ›